I have a Contour action camera that I sometimes use on a suction cup mount on glass to record something out a window. (Say, the scenery outside a moving train.) To block reflections on the window glass from light inside, I'm going to make some sort of large ring that slides onto the end of the camera. I think I've seen these available commercially before. What are they called?

Here's a mockup... black is a piece of rubber or plastic that I plan to make to put on the camera. The blue is the window.

Contour Camera

I'm not sure what you would call this... it's not really a baffle. But, what is it?

  • 1
    This is something like lens hood :) In practice lens hoods are used for the same purpose Oct 18, 2015 at 0:34
  • 1
    I believe these are often called "skirts", but I've only made them, not bought them, so I don't know if that's an officially correct term. Oct 18, 2015 at 7:18

1 Answer 1


What you describe is usually referred to as a lens skirt if made from cloth or a rubber lens hood when made from - you guessed it - rubber.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.