I see some pictures posted and they are glossy, sharp and solid. I always wonder how they achieved it. I have a 18-55mm lens for now. Is it possible to get this result on that lens or do I really need to upgrade?
To get sharper images
- Use an appropriate shutter speed, that prevents camera shake and/or subject movement from blurring the image.
- Use a flash to freeze any motion of the subject.
- close the aperture, (that means: use a bigger number, something like f8 will do) the effect is minor, it will not turn a blurry shot into an "oh my gosh this is amazingly sharp"-image
To get bright colors
- Do not shoot into the sun. It causes colors to look washed out.
- Photograph something that actually is bright and colorful.
But most importantly:
Apply proper post processing. Whatever sharp and colorful picture you stumbled upon on the web is probably heavily post processed. You will not get such a result straight out of the camera.
Your equipment is fine. It's time to upgrade your skills and knowledge how to use it.