I'm looking for an app or software to do this effect on my photos. I searched and found some free photoshop action but neither not do this exactly, I'm wonder to know which mobile app or computer software can do this? if it's photoshop action, can someone tell me the name? or app name.

enter image description here

  • 2
    Can you be more descriptive about what, exactly, in this photo you are trying to replicate? It could be argued that shooting under the correct lighting conditions for such a look (in this case the "golden hour") is the most paramount consideration, not any particular post processing technique.
    – Michael C
    Mar 21 '16 at 21:31
  • @MichaelClark I told in my Post. I want effect/filter of this photo. that like Oil Paint effect.
    – Pedram
    Mar 22 '16 at 5:42
  • 1
    "Oil Paint effect" is awful broad.
    – Michael C
    Mar 22 '16 at 10:37
  • 1
    Possible duplicate of What is this soft curved brushstroke-like effect?
    – mattdm
    Mar 22 '16 at 20:44

This effect is more than an app or software can replicate. This was done via a combination of brushing over the original photo using the smear brush or regular brush with color sampled from the image in photoshop. It's basically a form of digital painting to convert a real photo into a painting. Take a look at this course from Lynda.

For simpler automated effect (most of the time will not be perfect) check Topaz Labs they have couple of plugins that could achieve what you are after.


Well, the best software to do any type of digital painting is Corel Painter http://www.painterartist.com/us/product/paint-program/

You can make some automated process, or grab your drawing tablet and do a personalized job.

Another one interesting, where you can adjust a lot of parameters is filter Forge https://www.filterforge.com/ You need to find one filter combination you like or prepare one yourself via nodes. There is a free trial. You can use it standalone or as Photoshop Plugin.

Of course you can try Photoshop itself or Gimp painting over a photo.

And there other several options where a simple google search will give results. https://www.google.com.mx/search?q=oil+painting+software I am only quoting the ones I have used.

If you are upt to the challenge you can also try MyPaint http://mypaint.org/about/ and paint above a photo.

I have not tried this one. (My BitDefender marks a warning, but I have the feeling it is a false positive) but looks promising: postworkshop.net


If you have Adobe Photoshop you can find this effect under the filters tab. Go to Filters>Oil Paint... Adjust the sliders to get the desired effect.(Keep the 'Shine' slider at zero).

  • I have not this option on my photoshop
    – Pedram
    Mar 23 '16 at 7:12

I think it could be Topaz Glow. http://www.topazlabs.com/glow

  • Could you provide an example to argue you point ? As it is, this one-link answer will be deleted. Topaz Glow doesn't seem likely if one is just looking at their website.
    – Olivier
    Jul 4 '16 at 18:24
  • While this link may answer the question, it is better to include the essential parts of the answer here and provide the link for reference. Link-only answers can become invalid if the linked page changes. - From Review
    – Olivier
    Jul 4 '16 at 18:25
  • @Olivier Product question answered by product name and product link with examples. I don't see any value in adding more words in this case.
    – MirekE
    Jul 4 '16 at 18:39

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.