I am using a Canon PowerShot ELPH 180 and am trying to take pictures with it for several days in a row using a script. This needs continuous power so the battery will not run out of power.

I could use something similar to this adapter. This battery outputs 4.2 volts but the actual camera uses a battery that outputs 3.6 volts.

Is this safe to use? What options do I have for continuous power? Do you know of any dummy batteries available for the ELPH 180?


1 Answer 1


The ELPH 180 uses a NB-11L (or NB-11LH, basically the same) battery. So any adapter or DC coupler meant to power a NB-11L–type battery compartment should work.

Canon's ACK-D90 is the AC power adapter + DC coupler meant to power cameras that use an NB-11/L/LH battery. So any 3rd-party that is equivalent to it should work just fine.

Apparently, the DC coupler (the "dummy battery") part number is DR90 (or DR-90). I can't find it at Canon's site, but that's what many 3rd-party sellers seem to call it.

As far as using the product you show, if it were me, I would go with it. Battery-powered devices have voltage regulators precisely because the voltage output of batteries is never exactly what its label says. The labeled voltage is nominal. As the charge in a battery is depleted, its voltage drops. And that voltage drop profile is highly dependent upon on the battery's technology (alkaline, NiCad, NiMH, Li-ion, etc.). Bottom line, the camera will never rely on exactly 3.6V from the battery, so they much expect for and regulate varying input voltages.

Checking Canon's compatibility page for the ACK-D90, it only works with red ELPH 180's, or refurbished red or silver ELPH 180's. ;-)

(Note: I'm joking about the compatibility. That what Canon's site says, but clearly, the compatibility isn't depending on the color of the camera that otherwise is the same.)


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.