Timelapse photography is the process of taking a series of photos at a set interval with the intention of playing them back as a movie at a much shorter interval. This gives the appearance of high speed movement, such as in the growth of plants.
Timelapse photography can have 2 major applications (among others):
- Make a very slow movement, usually not visible to the human eye, visible; Such as the growth of plants, clouds changing their shape
- Speed up normally visible movements to reveal patterns and rhythm in movements; Such as the movements of large masses of people over a street crossing etc.
Common tools for a timelapse:
- Camera internal or external Intervalometer to time the pictures correctly
- battery grip or external power supply
- dolly or automated panning heads to allow camera movement
- software to combine the individual frames into a movie