This effect looks like smoke with a little blurring. There are many examples of this because it has been used in some erotic movies.

I don’t know if it’s a lens filter, a specific camera, a technique, or a type of film. How is this effect achieved?

example image 1 example image 2 example image 3


In the 70s that effect was called 'flu', and was made putting cellophane or similar in the front of the lens.

Some photographers used a plain filter with vaseline or even a piece of pantyhose.

  • 1
    Pantyhose will also make stars on the highlights. – Sherwood Botsford Mar 23 '18 at 21:46
  • 1
    The vaseline trick works well. If you left the centre of the filter clear then you could control the degree of blur with your iris. wide open = more blur. – Sherwood Botsford Mar 23 '18 at 21:47

You can do this easy enough in post-processing.
In Darktable the 'bloom' effect would give a similar result, in combination with suitable masks (to limit the area and strenght of the effect, like in the first image). I'm not using photoshop, so I can't give any details for that program.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.