I know it's impossible to magically "add more resolution" to a 600x600px image to turn it into a 3000x3000px image (goal: print it in around 30x30 cm). (I have done some signal digital processing math, and I know the difficulty of the problem).

But in some cases, like images with contour, drawn with MS Paint:

are there ready-to-use algorithms / software that perform better than Photoshop's resizing algorithms (I tried all of them - bicubic, etc.)?

Or even software that can reduce the staircase effect of existing pictures?

  • 5
    This isn't a photography question. However, the image you include looks like a good candidate for a vector format, rather than raster format. Vector formats can be enlarged without the effect you are talking about. – osullic Jan 19 '18 at 11:24
  • Thanks @osullic. The problem is that the image has been painted with MS Paint by the artist and so it's a bitmap PNG and I can have a vector file for it. – Basj Jan 19 '18 at 11:35
  • 4
    I'm voting to close this question as off-topic because it's about graphical editing of non-photographic images. Maybe try Graphic Design instead? – Philip Kendall Jan 19 '18 at 11:56
  • ok I'll delete myself and will repost there. Just before deleting: Any idea of software worth trying? – Basj Jan 19 '18 at 11:59
  • 1
    this "staircase effect" is called "aliasing" – jhamon Jan 19 '18 at 14:06

A working solution was to:

  • open the PNG file with Illustrator
  • Use the Image Trace pannel
  • Select Tracing Result with Outlines
  • Use Trace

Then the image is vectorized, and can be enlarged as big as we want.

enter image description here

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.