I know it's impossible to magically "add more resolution" to a 600x600px image to turn it into a 3000x3000px image (goal: print it in around 30x30 cm). (I have done some signal digital processing math, and I know the difficulty of the problem).

But in some cases, like images with contour, drawn with MS Paint:

are there ready-to-use algorithms / software that perform better than Photoshop's resizing algorithms (I tried all of them - bicubic, etc.)?

Or even software that can reduce the staircase effect of existing pictures?

  • 5
    This isn't a photography question. However, the image you include looks like a good candidate for a vector format, rather than raster format. Vector formats can be enlarged without the effect you are talking about. – osullic Jan 19 '18 at 11:24
  • Thanks @osullic. The problem is that the image has been painted with MS Paint by the artist and so it's a bitmap PNG and I can have a vector file for it. – Basj Jan 19 '18 at 11:35
  • 4
    I'm voting to close this question as off-topic because it's about graphical editing of non-photographic images. Maybe try Graphic Design instead? – Philip Kendall Jan 19 '18 at 11:56
  • ok I'll delete myself and will repost there. Just before deleting: Any idea of software worth trying? – Basj Jan 19 '18 at 11:59
  • 1
    this "staircase effect" is called "aliasing" – jhamon Jan 19 '18 at 14:06

A working solution was to:

  • open the PNG file with Illustrator
  • Use the Image Trace pannel
  • Select Tracing Result with Outlines
  • Use Trace

Then the image is vectorized, and can be enlarged as big as we want.

enter image description here

| improve this answer | |

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.