I'll be undertaking a photography project which involves photographing employees of a small company who are producing a food product using an artisanal process. The photographs will be used on the company website to show the production process.

Do I need a release form for each employee that will be photographed?

If yes, what should such a release include.

Country is United States.


1 Answer 1


No, you do not.

The company will want to have them, though (for their use of the photos).

Generally you need release forms to publish, not to shoot.

  • \$\begingroup\$ i would disagree. How do you know the employer will get the releases and how do you know if your photos get published somewhere other than the company web site. Cover your but and get releases for everyone you shoot. I have worked on many shoots for photographers doing just this, a company website, and the photographer ALWAYS gets a release from every person. I AM NOT A LAWYER, SEEK ADVISE FROM A MEDIA ATTORNEY. \$\endgroup\$
    – Alaska Man
    Commented Jan 14, 2018 at 18:26
  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ If I am paid to take photos and the contract does not stipulate I have to provide releases there is no need to do so. Whoever contracts that out should handle his requirements properly. Covering idiots is not my job. \$\endgroup\$
    – TomTom
    Commented Jan 14, 2018 at 18:29

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.