I have noticed some photos have this glowy/dreamy light effect. I am not sure how this is achieved (shooting/editing??). Does anyone know? I have included an example. enter image description here

  • \$\begingroup\$ photoshop: duplicate image, add blur, set opacity \$\endgroup\$
    – jhamon
    Jan 11, 2018 at 13:13
  • \$\begingroup\$ old school: soft focus filter bhphotovideo.com/c/product/609131-REG/… \$\endgroup\$ Jan 11, 2018 at 15:37
  • \$\begingroup\$ Might just be me, but it looks like the contrast on this one was lowered as well. Saturation seems a bit less too. \$\endgroup\$
    – OnBreak.
    Jan 11, 2018 at 17:17

1 Answer 1


An OOOOLD trick: use a womens nylon stocking and clamp it over the lens.

  • \$\begingroup\$ The "granny" style ones that only came up to about 3/4 of the way from the ankle to the knee were easier to use and stuff in the bottom of your camera bag. \$\endgroup\$
    – Michael C
    Jan 12, 2018 at 5:46

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.