I want to migrate 440 folders of photos from Lightroom 5. Some are DNGs, some are JPEGs. It's OK to export them as JPEG images as long as they:
- render all the edits,
- preserve the folder hierarchy, and
- ideally preserve the keywords.
I'll try other photo editing programs later. Meanwhile:
- Apple only seems to be releasing security updates for High Sierra, not for the earlier Sierra. There's risk to staying on Sierra.
- Lightroom versions 6.12 and earlier can crash on macOS High Sierra. There's risk to staying on LR 5.
- There will be no additional versions or updates after 6.14 for the perpetual, standalone version of Lightroom. That's not an attractive update.
- The subscription option is not attractive for occasional hobbyist use.
This tip Exporting Files from Lightroom while Retaining the Folder Structure suggests using the LR “Folder Publisher“ plug-in by Jeffrey Friedl but apparently that still requires manually setting up a Collection for each folder, which is the essence of the problem.
(There are some questions like How should I migrate photos so I don't lose my Lightroom edits that don't address this problem.)