I know this probably won't work but it is a fun idea.
The GoPro Hero 6 was recently released for $450 with 4k 60 and 1080p up to 240. This is nice but the GoPro is not a flexible platform but is much cheaper than a camera with 4k60 and interchangeable lenses.
My plan is to get an older micro four-thirds camera, take out everything in the body and replace it with a GoPro with the lens removed. In theory, I would have 4K60 with much more flexibility for much less than other cameras. I am far from a camera expert and the main issue that I can think of is the different sensor sizes and how that changes the effects of different lenses. I am not locked to a micro four-thirds body but I thought that sensor size would be the closest. I did some googling and couldn't find the GoPro sensor size.
- Is there any way this would work? If not, why?
- Would different sensor sizes be an issue?
- Is there another camera type that might work better?
- Are there any other major issues that I am missing?
- Has this been done before and is there an existing guide on how to do it?
If I did do this I would probably use a nice GoPro Chinese copy, like a Yi camera or something.