Is is possible to export RAW files (or DNG files) including the flags from Lightroom to an external hard disk? I know how to export the files including all the lightroom manipulations, but cannot find how to include flags/stars etc.
Unfortunately there's currently no 'painless/seamless/automated' way to get all the information out of Lightroom...
You will want to write your metadata out with your files by doing the following in Lightroom:
- Select Metadata > Save Metadata to File (Or Command/CTRL + S). This will write an XMP file for each image.
On export Lightroom exports RAW files, IPTC metadata, star ratings, and color labels. Any flags you have set in Lightroom WILL NOT be exported. If flags are important to your organization system, then the only thing you can do is add keywords in Lightroom before you generate your sidecar files (Flag, NoFlag perhaps).
- Put all files you want to export into a collection (a folder is also ok).
- Select the images and use save metadata from the context menu (just to be on the safe side, probably not needed)
- Then right click on the collection (or select images and use File menu), and select export as catalog
- check export negative files and export to your external drive.
In Lightroom's Catalog options (I believe, I haven't got LR on this machine to check which menu) you can set meta data to be written to DNG/XMP files. This includes stars/picks/processing etc. I have this ticked all the time, but I believe you can set it on export, in the metadata panel it will tell you when the metadata on that image file was last updated.
I prefer to use DNGs as they keep the metadata embedded in the file, whereas raw formats need to store the metadata in a separate XMP sidecar file, it is quite easy for these to get separated from the raw file.