I am having a black and white digital landscape photo printed to frame and hang on the wall and one of the options on offer is 'metallic paper'. What is it and would it be appropriate in this instance?


It is like normal paper, except that instead of just paper or plastic backing, it has a sheet of Mylar between the paper and the emulsion.

It is high gloss, and high contrast, abolutely ROCKS black and white prints. Really gives them a lot of depth when they have a good strong light source.

| improve this answer | |
  • 7
    One tiny caveat, though -- they don't work well in a dark environment with accent lighting, since they rely on diffuse lighting from the environment to provide the "white". When they're displayed properly, they are spectacular -- almost like a daguerreotype -- but there are some locations where they just won't work (also like a daguerreotype), and something a little more like a ferrotype (not the emulsion-on-iron version, I mean the glossy print dried face-down on a polished surface effect) would be more appropriate for increasing contrast. – user2719 Feb 27 '11 at 20:30
  • 2
    Another caveat is that putting the metal prints behind glass cuts down on some of the gloss of the image. – Bradford Benn Feb 28 '11 at 4:04
  • 1
    Great point about the strong light source @Stan, I forget that folks a lot of times display images in weak light. @Brad, yeah, but you have that problem with standard glossy images too... part of why I hate putting prints behind glass if I don't have to. – cabbey Feb 28 '11 at 5:22

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.