I am going for 3 months to Switzerland. All weekends free, so I want to spend it on sightseeing, photography and hiking. I do not know what gear to take.

I currently have:

  • Nikon D7200
  • Nikon 35mm f/1.8 DX
  • Sigma 17-50 f/2.8
  • Tripod I don't like, it doesn't compress enough and is a bit heavy

I was wondering if buying Sigma 10-20/3.5 makes sens on a trip like that.

What more should I take take with me? What would be a difference between different tripod heads shooting in mountains?

The main things I plan to photograph are landscapes, nature and architecture - mostly in the morning and sunset to evening.

  • And what you would like to shoot? Wide panoramas, architecture, people, Giger's statues in Gruyères? Are you about to take morning, evening or night shoots? Personally, I'd take it all. Even the tripod. – Crowley Jun 21 '17 at 8:42
  • I would like to make morning, evening and night shoots (in that order), mostly landscapes, nature, architecture. People limited, unless I find someone interesting, but that is not my goal. – Michał Piotr Stankiewicz Jun 21 '17 at 8:45
  • I suppse shots simillar to ones you are thinking about were already taken somewhere else by someone else. Could you link some of them? – Crowley Jun 21 '17 at 20:03

Given what you currently have I would strongly suggest not doing the Sigma 10-20 f/3.5. Instead you should really consider renting or buying a telephoto lens. Something like a 135mm or 200mm of really any aperture will work since you'll be using this on a tripod most of the time. Getting reach for framing the shot is very important in landscape. A 70-200 f/4 is also an option that a lot of people go with for this very reason.

Then if you're tripod isn't good you might want to buy a travel tripod. Hard to say exactly since you didn't mention the exact one you have. I love my discontinued Benro Travelflat because it goes entirely flat. As mentioned its discontinued so would have to check ebay/keh type places to find it, or check out Benro's other offerings. Another really popular travel option is BeFree by Manfrotto (I almost bought this until I saw the shop had the Benro in as a used item for a sizable discount).

Typically landscape photographers use a Ball Head but it can be done with any head. Architecture photography at the high level uses a geared head but would also be using a Tilt Shift lens. Based on your question I don't think this is you so I wouldn't worry about either a TS lens or a geared head.

Other good things to have from a strict photography sense depending on budget would be ND filter, polarizing filter, remote release.

I would however only recommend those if budget allows after the lens and tripod AND after safety and hiking gear has been bought. Rain protection, sun protection, comfortable bag, etc.

Here's some other questions you might want to check out:

  • I would recommend renting both telephoto and wide lens for a while (weekend?) and try them in hometown. We do not know what kind of "landscape" and "nature" OP is talking about. – Crowley Jun 21 '17 at 20:05

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.