I have a Nikon D5100. I am trying to use it in a studio setting with a Norman 800w strobe pack. How do I sync the light to the camera? Is there something that can go on the hot shoe at the top of the camera?

  • \$\begingroup\$ Do you mean the Norman P808m/TLC-1 Power Supply? \$\endgroup\$
    – Michael C
    May 29, 2017 at 7:36
  • \$\begingroup\$ Did your Normal light(s) come with PocketWizard slave? Which Norman strobe are you using? \$\endgroup\$
    – inkista
    May 31, 2017 at 0:42

1 Answer 1


You need a hotshoe-to-PC sync adaptor on your hotshoe and a PC to 1/4" sync cord (or a cheaper generic) to run from the adapter on your hotshoe to the Norman Power Pack. The cords are available in many lengths and brand/quality levels. There are also a large number of sources for such adapters.

Check your camera's manual to find the maximum flash voltage tolerance and check the manual of your Norman Power pack to find the trigger voltage. If your camera can't tolerate the trigger voltage of the Norman Power Pack, you'll need a hotshoe-to-PC sync adapter that also provides voltage reduction. Otherwise you could fry your camera's flash circuit or maybe even your camera's main power board.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.