I recently picked up a lens and an estate sale. "Carl Zeiss Jena No907646 proj-tessar 1:4,5 f=13,5cm." The 'proj' prefix led me to believe that it's a projector lens, but I'm not sure what kind of projector would use a 135mm worth of throw.

enter image description here

  • \$\begingroup\$ Projector sounds right - it would give us some clues if you can post an image of what you've bought. \$\endgroup\$ May 27, 2017 at 18:48
  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ I can't provide a definitive answer, but a bit of googling found it was used as an enlarger lens. \$\endgroup\$
    – Tetsujin
    May 28, 2017 at 7:32
  • \$\begingroup\$ From some more googling, it appears they were also used (in a different mount with an iris) for large format photography; for example picclick.ca/Proj-TESSAR-145-f-135-cm-N-252612567466.html \$\endgroup\$
    – JerryTheC
    May 29, 2017 at 19:50

1 Answer 1


Proj likely stands for projector. 135mm isn't the "throw" of the lens (distance from lens to the screen), but the distance between the slide and the lens. It is like using a camera in reverse.

Tessar is a 4-element, 3-group lens design.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.