When taking photographs on a sunny day, I typically find myself holding the actual camera with my right hand, while using my left hand to cup the space between my face and the camera's optical viewfinder so I can see some actual contrast without being dazzled by the Sun.

This is fine with small, light-weight lenses. It works poorly with really heavy ones.

How do other people deal with this? Is there some kind of product you can buy that shades the viewfinder for you? Or is this just a case of more expensive DSLR bodies having a better viewfinder design?


1 Answer 1


Aftermarket eye cups are available for many camera models that replace the supplied eyecup with a larger cup that fits the face of the user.

Altura Rubber Eyecup

Here is one made for the Canon 5d and 5D Mark II as well as other Canon cameras that have an 18mm eyepiece slot.

Hoodman H-EYEC18L HoodEYE for 5D and 5D Mark II DSLR Cameras

There are also versions made a bit larger for people who wear eyeglasses.

Altura Rubber Eyecup for Eyeglasses

Hoodman Glasses Model Hoodeye Eyecup for Canon 5D Mark III, 7D, 1D, and 1DS Mark III Models

Similar items are also available for many Nikon camera models.

Right angle viewfinders are also available for a variety of camera models and usually include a rubber eyecup that helps block off axis light from the user's eye.

Canon Angle Finder C

Since such accessories are model specific and you haven't included the particular camera in question, we can't provide an exact match for whatever particular camera you are using.

  • \$\begingroup\$ Interesting. This seems relevant. What search term would I use to find these kinds of items? "Eye cup" or something? (Personally, I shoot the Nikon D3300, but the next person to read this answer might use something else...) \$\endgroup\$ Commented Apr 22, 2017 at 17:59
  • \$\begingroup\$ SInce the products in most of the links above are described as Rubber Eyecup or Right Angle Viewfinder... \$\endgroup\$
    – Michael C
    Commented Apr 22, 2017 at 18:10
  • \$\begingroup\$ Hoodman has been making such rubber eyecups for a long time, and some people call them a "Hoodman", even if made by another company. \$\endgroup\$
    – Michael C
    Commented Apr 22, 2017 at 18:14
  • \$\begingroup\$ And for what it is worth, the similar items link in the answer will fit your D3300, as will any eyecup replacement made for Nikon square 22mm viewfinders. \$\endgroup\$
    – Michael C
    Commented Apr 22, 2017 at 18:18
  • \$\begingroup\$ I see some useful looking hits from Amazon UK. Pretty cheap too. Clearly I'll have to try this out... Thanks! \$\endgroup\$ Commented Apr 22, 2017 at 18:20

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.