This old Carl Zeiss f4.5 250mm lens belonged to my father, who said that this was used for some kind of wooden electrostatic-photocopy machine from a document-copying shop that he used to run.

Please help me identify what mount this lens has. The only information that I could find on the net remotely similar to this was in Russian.

Was this made for some kind of large format view camera? Can this be adapted for a Canon or a Nikon DSLR? It has some kind of a screw mount.

enter image description here

enter image description here

enter image description here

  • I'm curious, though: can you include something to indicate scale? – mattdm Apr 11 '17 at 13:54
  • For what it's worth, here's the same lens "with an approximately 72mm screw mount". Does the ring with the holes screw off? – mattdm Apr 11 '17 at 14:19

This is a "process" lens used to make copies on high contrast film for reproduction in newspapers, magazines, and books. The lens mounted on a square wood board with hole for the lens. The lens mounted with wood screws. On some, the board was metal, usually aluminum. If an aluminum mount was used it was also called a lens board. The lens mounted to metal boards with machine screws. These giant "process" cameras were common to print shops.

  • Can this be adapted for use with a dslr? For landscapes? – Janardan S Apr 11 '17 at 6:55
  • This a "process" lens. The design is optimized to image a flat surface and project that image on flat film. It will work OK as a camera lens but will be slightly compromised as a camera images objects that are at different distances and projects their images on flat film or digital chip. Your biggest problem will be figuring out how to mount. Your next problem will be, the lens will not couple to the camera body, you must operate the aperture manually. – Alan Marcus Apr 11 '17 at 15:08
  • Alan, are you sure this is a process lens? How do you identify it as such? Everything I can find about it online calls it a "large format lens". That doesn't mean it isn't or wasn't used that way, but I'm curious what indicates that it was designed/optimized for that particular case. – mattdm Apr 11 '17 at 15:53
  • 1
    I labeled it a process lens based on your description of its use. Likely it will work OK for landscapes. – Alan Marcus Apr 11 '17 at 17:43
  • @AlanMarcus Aren't process lenses said to have great corner to corner sharpness? – Janardan S Apr 12 '17 at 9:00

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.