I don't know what exactly it is but it's some kind of a blur, color separation, fuzziness and i guess it's caused by the lens.

I marked it in this image below:

Dat Cool Artifact

  • It can probably be achieved by using a very bad/damaged lens...
    – user29608
    Mar 2 '17 at 9:54
  • 1
    it is not right. what ever it is. it is not right. it should NOT be achieved, EVER. I hold you personally responsible for permanently scaring my psyche.
    – Alaska Man
    Mar 2 '17 at 10:08
  • 2
    The black "hills" at the bottom look to be caused by fingers over the lens or possibly the flash. Mar 2 '17 at 13:02

This looks like a scan of an analog photo?

What i see here is blur (probably caused by a missed focus and/or a cheap compact film camera), chromatic aberration (colour fringing) (a lens defect), excessive contrast leading to over- and underexposed areas (a lighting problem), and shadows.

The left circled area shows just normal shadow, caused by the flash exposure, the arrow points to a shadow which may be caused by some obstruction, like a finger in front of the flash or lens maybe.


After a long time, i finally found out how to achieve this without modifying the lens on a DSLR. Google has a free program called Nik Collection, with that I achieved similar results:

sorry for the middle finger tho...


Nevermind, found it! Here it is:

Coma Aberration

It's called "Coma Aberration", but still don't know how to achieve it :/

Source: [Lens Characteristics: Flare, Ghosting and Aberration]

  • 1
    I'm sure it's not coma aberration. Come aberration isn't an effect or filter. It's an aberration caused by the lens.
    – Janardan S
    Mar 2 '17 at 13:05
  • To achieve it, you need a badly designed/constructed lens.
    – Janardan S
    Mar 2 '17 at 13:14
  • I think ths' answer is correct
    – Janardan S
    Mar 2 '17 at 13:44
  • 4
    It's probably a combination of "all of the above." Particularly Spherical Aberration, Chromatic Aberration, and Astigmatism.
    – Michael C
    Mar 2 '17 at 14:27
  • None of the pictures in this answer are correct for the aberrations named. Dec 8 '17 at 18:31

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.