I need help in figuring out what flash equipment I would need for a real estate photography start-up. Camera is Nikon. I'm looking at the Yongnuo flashes and triggers because of price and for their good reviews. Here's what needs to happen.

  1. 3 off-camera flashes - 2 will be on light stands and 1 on a monopod. I believe a trigger (i.e. YN-622N-TX) needs to be on top of the camera hot shoe.

  2. Camranger - I should not touch the camera as I would be taking multiple photos of the exact same scene. I'll control camera settings and shoot from my iPad.

  3. This is my question - I need to control the three flashes - power, zoom, etc. while not touching the camera. What equipment do I need?

What I gather is that the 3 flashes can be controlled in two ways - 1. thru the flash trigger (i.e. YN-622N-TX) on the camera or 2. by manually changing settings on each flash. #1 is not appropriate because I don't want to touch the camera/trigger and #2 takes time.

Please advise. Thanks!

  • Here's the Canon version of the exact same scenario: How to control wireless flashes without touching and moving the camera - photo.stackexchange.com/questions/82480/…
    – Michael C
    Nov 4, 2016 at 10:23
  • # 2 also means that you don't need the TX, just another 622N on camera.
    – Robin
    Nov 4, 2016 at 19:51
  • @Robin A single YN-622N and a YN-622N-TX are roughly the same cost. The TX gives much more functionality over controlling all of the flashes.
    – Michael C
    Nov 4, 2016 at 22:16

1 Answer 1


You can use an off-shoe TTL cord to attach the YN-622N-TX to the hot shoe. That way you can control the flashes from the transmitter without touching the camera. This works in much the same way that a wired remote shutter release does. The cord absorbs all of the movement and the camera remains stationary.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.