what is the technical term for such pictures?

Those with the special characteristics black&white, with a single color?

enter image description here

  • In print media, it would be termed 'spot color'. Digitally, 'shopped' might be usefully applied. – user50888 Oct 21 '16 at 0:43
  • 1
    Welcome to this site Dirk. Do you see that other question suggested as duplicate by @mattdm? Please compare just the two titles. Do you see how the other title is very informative and summarises the concrete issue? Your question title is very generic and would apply to many questions about pictures with special characteristics. When asking a question, please try to be more specific. – null Oct 21 '16 at 11:22
  • @null Although note that the other question started as "What is this color filter effect?" until I retitled it. I'm glad I did, though, because that's how I was able to find it so quickly again when I went to look for it here. :) – Please Read My Profile Oct 21 '16 at 13:37

Selective Colorization is the name of this editing technique.

| improve this answer | |
  • "Selective colorisation" might only be accurate if the photo was originally black and white and a selected colour is laid on some object, but from what I see, it's more often done with colour photos of which only a certain colour is kept. "Selective colour" might be the better term. – K. Minkov Oct 21 '16 at 6:23
  • 3
    Maybe more accurate to say "Selective de-colourisation", as the colour is being removed from parts. Or "selective desaturation" is a more common term for photos. – vclaw Oct 21 '16 at 12:38

You can also find it as "selective black and white".

| improve this answer | |

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.