Here are the advantages of the 50X zoom compact camera:
Here are the advantages of a DSLR:
- Larger sensor = Better low light performance
- Larger sensor = Longer exposure times without unacceptable noise from the sensor heating up
- Larger sensor = more background blur when desired
- Interchangeable lenses = better lens quality at the only focal length you're actually using for any given shot
- Interchangeable lenses = wider maximum aperture for even creamier background blur when desired
- Interchangeable lenses = wider maximum aperture for shooting in even lower light
- Through the lens viewfinder with reflex mirror = Allowing the sensor to cool between shots
- Through the lens viewfinder with reflex mirror = Phase Detection Autofocus that is generally faster than the Contrast Detection Autofocus found in most 50X zoom compact cameras
But hey, that compact has 50X ZOOM, dude!
You can have all of the advantages of an interchangeable system or you can give them up for a crappy, non-changeable lens that is severely compromised in many ways and for a very small sensor with all of those disadvantages, just to get 50X Zoom, Baby!