Location: Canada

I am wondering what is the best course of action for getting a model release form signed for your own children for any work or photos that one person would have. I live in Canada and I know a lot of the laws/rules are different then in the US; but when it comes to model release forms, I seem to keep finding stuff for the US but not for Canada. I am looking to some help or direction on this idea.

I am the photographer that would be doing the work for my children and they are not of age.

  • 3
    \$\begingroup\$ I don't know Canadian law, but I'm guessing since they're your children, and not yet of legal age to sign contracts, that no model release is necessary. \$\endgroup\$
    – digijim
    Commented Jul 21, 2016 at 18:25
  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ @digijim i feel like something is actually missing there with no form is required. \$\endgroup\$
    – thebtm
    Commented Jul 21, 2016 at 18:27
  • 3
    \$\begingroup\$ If you need a model release for a publisher, (and again, I know nothing about Canadian law), it stands to reason that you would be the one signing the release, since you're the children's legal guardian. \$\endgroup\$
    – digijim
    Commented Jul 21, 2016 at 19:44
  • \$\begingroup\$ I cant be the only Canadian on this page, i can let the question sit open an see what happens. \$\endgroup\$
    – thebtm
    Commented Jul 21, 2016 at 20:06

2 Answers 2


I did a quick Google of "Canada Model Release Law," and found this info:

Why does it matter if the model is a minor?

If the model is a minor, he or she will need parental permission to approve of the use of his or her image, likeness, or sound.

How do you define a “minor”?

Within the context of the Model and Entertainment Release, a minor is anyone who is legally under the age of adulthood in the jurisdiction where the contract is governed, even if the model is considered an adult in the jurisdiction where he or she lives.

Since you will own copyright to your images, and the subjects will be your minor children, you won't need a model release for your own uses. If you share the images with a publisher or third party that requires a model release, you would be the person signing those releases.


You are the parent, you are the photographer. Unless you plan to sue yourself for using an image then no. Flippant answer aside i would think that any publication or contest would require a model release form.

  • \$\begingroup\$ That you would sign yourself! \$\endgroup\$
    – Robin
    Commented Jul 22, 2016 at 20:11

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.