I'm looking for an inexpensive cable release for my Canon EOS 40D. However, I plan on upgrading to a 70D somewhat soon. This is why I've been looking for a cable release that is compatible with both the 40D and the 70D. However, I haven't found a single product that lists both camera models in their list of supported cameras. Is the technology/jack for those fundamentally different? Or have I just not been looking in the right places?

  • Do they both support infrared release? If yes, would that be an option?
    – MirekE
    Jul 8 '16 at 15:37
  • @MirekE I don't think the 40D has that kind of fancy functionality, it's a quite old model
    – MoritzLost
    Jul 8 '16 at 17:26
  • I don't know about the 40D, but it was on the Rebel XT, I still have the remote and it works on my 7D as well.
    – Robin
    Jul 8 '16 at 17:31
  • Right, it apparently does not have IR sensor. Cheaper and older cameras apparently had it, though... imaging-resource.com/PRODS/E40D/E40DA.HTM
    – MirekE
    Jul 8 '16 at 17:42

The 40D cable remote uses what Canon calls the N3 connector, whereas the 70D uses the E3 connector. The E3 connector is just Canon's name for the subminiature 3/32" (2.5mm) 3-conductor TRS audio connector.

The N3 connector is just a 3-conductor connector as well (but I believe it is proprietary and only used by Canon).

  • If you have a cable release for the 70D, you can get a simple E3F-N3M adapter to use the cable on your 40D.

  • If you have a cable release for the 40D, you can get a simple N3F-E3M adapter to use the cable on your 70D.

  • Are there also adapters that do the opposite? Because for now I'm going to get a cable release with a timer functionality (this one) for my 40D ...
    – MoritzLost
    Jul 8 '16 at 12:02
  • Thanks, I have already ordered the cable release above though ^^ Not sure yet when I will get the newer body, and once I do I'll give my 40D back to my father (technically it's his), maybe I'll just give him the cable release as well and get a newer one instead. I wanted a simpler one anyway
    – MoritzLost
    Jul 8 '16 at 12:14

They're physically different.

The 70D is the audio-jack style connector, while the 40D has the square, stubby connector (see, I know my technical words!)

Don't buy any of them from the Canon site (far too expensive), buy a 3rd party version from Amazon or similar, just check the reviews.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.