My husband bought me an Opteka 650-1300mm telephoto lens for my Nikon D3200 and I can't figure out how to attach it.

Do I need to buy a lenses adaptor? Or am I just not doing it right?

  • 2
    Take a picture of the rear part of the lens and post it here please. I think it sometimes has a T mount, and therefore you could need an adapter. – Rafael Feb 15 '16 at 17:08
  • OK give me one second – Renee MacCrea Feb 15 '16 at 17:49
  • m.facebook.com/… – Renee MacCrea Feb 15 '16 at 17:59
  • Can you upload the picture instead of linking it to Facebook? I cannot view the picture (don't have a facebook account) – scottbb Feb 15 '16 at 18:07
  • Its not letting me upload anything on the app I'm on. I've been looking – Renee MacCrea Feb 15 '16 at 18:08

That lens has a T-Mount 42mm threaded connection with a 0.75mm thread pitch. They are also called T2 mounts. M42 also have a 42mm threaded connection but with a 1mm thread pitch. (they are not interchangeable)

They often come with the T-mount adapter, but if you can't attach the lens then it either has the wrong adapter or no adapter at all.

You will need to buy a Nikon T-mount adapter that threads onto the back of the lens and allows you to mount it to a Nikon camera. The adapter had three small set screws that allow you to rotate the mount for proper lens orientation on the camera.

Ebay T-mounts

enter image description here

enter image description here

| improve this answer | |
  • That looks like the t-mount I got. But when I attached it to the camera and turned it on, it said there was no lens attached – Renee MacCrea Feb 15 '16 at 18:58
  • That is normal because there is no electrical connection from the lens to the camera. – Mike Sowsun Feb 15 '16 at 19:03
  • And now I can see through the lens but when I snap a pic, nothing shows up. It's all black – Renee MacCrea Feb 15 '16 at 19:36
  • You will need to play with the manual settings. The consumer grade Nikons do not meter for lenses that are not chipped. Boost your ISO and decrease your shutter speed to start. (You will have to workin in M) – Matthew Whited Feb 15 '16 at 21:02
  • You will need a stable tripod and very bright outdoor conditions to get a reasonable looking photo. – Mike Sowsun Feb 15 '16 at 21:59

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.