So I have a 39mm gel holder for my Nikon 300 f4. AF lens. Filter


What can I put inside it? It doesn't look like a normal filter will work.


2 Answers 2


In lighting terms, a gel is a piece of thin, transparent, plasticky material in the color of your choosing. Rosco and LEE are perhaps the best known gel manufacturers, at least in the US. Gels come in large sheets that you cut down to fit your application. One 20"x24" sheet of a given color will probably last a lifetime if you're only using it in your gel holder, but they're also not very expensive at around $7 or $8 for a sheet of Rosco Cinegel.

  • \$\begingroup\$ Years ago when I first heard of gel filters, I used to imagine someone smearing a Vaseline-like substance on the front of lenses/lights! This explanation of gels isn't new to me now, but should be helpful for others. \$\endgroup\$
    – osullic
    Feb 4, 2016 at 9:14
  • \$\begingroup\$ Never used one but that explanation definitely helps. \$\endgroup\$ Feb 7, 2016 at 5:38
  • \$\begingroup\$ Those aren't true gelatin filters, those are cellophane 'gels'. \$\endgroup\$
    – Michael C
    Aug 6, 2017 at 2:36

A gel filter cut to a circle slightly larger than 39mm in diameter is what the holder is designed to hold. There should be a flap that opens up and lets you insert the filter material. You then close the flap back over the filter material to hold it in place.

enter image description here

  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ I didn't even know that opened. I presume a gel, in this context, is a sheet that I buy, cut and fit in? \$\endgroup\$ Feb 4, 2016 at 7:23

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.