This question already has an answer here:

Is there a name in photography postprocessing for this kind of look?



How can it be achieved?

There are other photos of this sort, but I can't find them right now.

marked as duplicate by Michael C, Hugo, null, mattdm, Caleb Feb 10 '16 at 0:48

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

  • 1
    Possible terms for search engines: "high contrast" and Richard Avedon look. :) – inkista Jan 30 '16 at 17:03

I'm don't know what post-processing software you use, but I use the Clarity slider in Adobe Camera Raw to achieve the contrasty, gritty look you show. The more you slide to the right, the heavier the effect.


It is called local contrast and micro-contrast enhancement, and many software tools call it "Clarity" or "Detail". E.g. see the Topaz Clarity showcase.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.