I'm just starting with photography. Currently I'm getting my stuff together for a basic lighting equipment. I bought some pre-owned softboxes and tripods, also some Yongnuo 560 Mk III. Now I'm looking for an adapter that I can use to put a softbox onto my tripod and use a speedlite in it. The softbox has a round metal mount (9.5 centimeter in diameter). Can someone give me a hint how these mounts are called and/or what adapters I can use? Thanks in advance!

Softbox Tripod Flash

  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ Could you eventually tell what kind of mount does your softbox have? Or what make and model your softbox is ?There are different adapters for each type of mount. \$\endgroup\$
    – Dragos
    Dec 24, 2015 at 16:45
  • \$\begingroup\$ Tripods or lightstands? And if you don't know the make/model of the softbox, can you post a pic of the softbox mount? \$\endgroup\$
    – inkista
    Dec 24, 2015 at 16:46
  • \$\begingroup\$ I added some pictures. Unfortunately, I don't know the mount type (that's why I'm asking). The tripod (or is it a lightstand?) is a Walimex WT-806. \$\endgroup\$
    – Rob
    Dec 24, 2015 at 16:48
  • \$\begingroup\$ @Rob, the Walimex is a lightstand. I only asked because lightstands are topped with studs, while a tripod only has a threaded bolt--with tripods you need to screw on a stud to add the adapter. The links in my previous comment will show you what tripods look like vs. lightstands. \$\endgroup\$
    – inkista
    Dec 24, 2015 at 16:51
  • \$\begingroup\$ Thanks for the clarification! You're right, of course, it looks different from the "real" tripod's head that I have for the camera. \$\endgroup\$
    – Rob
    Dec 24, 2015 at 16:58

1 Answer 1


Unfortunately, there really isn't one magic phrase you can google for that will conjure up a complete list of these things--the language changes a lot. But the words that will probably get you the best hits are "speedlite mount adapter". But you'll get a lot of other stuff that isn't what you're looking for. It'll generally look something like this:

enter image description here

The ring attaches to the softbox mount, the speedlight is mounted on a coldshoe, and the base slips over the stud on top of the lightstand.

There are also a ton of variants, like the Neewer S-Type Bracket Holder with Bowens Mount, which mounts the flash horizontally, rather than vertically, and does not stress the foot of the flash.

But the main concern is to get one with a ring that attaches correctly to the (I'm guessing Bowens—hopefully someone else can confirm) mount on your softbox.

  • \$\begingroup\$ @Rob Good luck. I'm not at all familiar with speedrings, and have always just purchased speedlite stuff, so not sure how to tell the ring fits... \$\endgroup\$
    – inkista
    Dec 24, 2015 at 17:46
  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ You need to measure the diameter of the outer ring, not the hole for the flash head. What you have is a standard bowens mount and these are typically 140-155 mm diameter to fit inside the ring adapter. Also, from your photo, it's an inside mount - which may not work with a speedlight bracket. You may need to mount the softbox with the ring outside, but that depends on the ring it that is possible. \$\endgroup\$
    – Gmck
    Dec 24, 2015 at 18:12
  • \$\begingroup\$ I have a couple of these which will work with your Bowens mount and are very solid. \$\endgroup\$
    – Robin
    Jan 6, 2016 at 21:20
  • \$\begingroup\$ @Robin Thanks. That's what the "variant" link in my answer went to until Neewer rotted out the link. I'm changing that link to the name in the Amazon listing. \$\endgroup\$
    – inkista
    Jan 6, 2016 at 21:31

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.