I'm a novice so don't know whether I need the 18-55mm lens that comes standard with the Canon EOS Rebel T6i or should I instead get the 55-250 mm lens - or both? I'll be using the camera primarily for family photos during holidays and vacations - both indoors and outdoors. On occasion will take longer shots at sporting events and on trips out west.

  • 1
    check out the 18-135mm stm lens instead of the 18-55mm. It is more expensive but you won't have to switch your lens as much. I also have the 55-250mm stm lens for outdoors. Dec 8, 2015 at 0:08
  • Look at the "super zooms" offered by 3rd party vendors. Compare the results on a good technical photo site such as DxO optics which provides visual displays of relative performance at a wide range of lens settings (aperture/focal length). This helps you decide whether the $/quality tradeoff is acceptable. You can get eg Sigma & Tamron lenses in the 17 or 18mm to 250 to 300mm range. Results are vastly better than for the super-zooms of a decade ago which gave these lenses such a bad name. You are liable to be delighted with the results in many cases. Dec 8, 2015 at 9:46

2 Answers 2


Get both.

You will definitely need the 18-55mm lens for shooting indoors and general all around photography as it covers wide-angle to short telephoto. The 55-250mm is a great lens for wildlife or sporting events, but it is much too long for shooting indoors.


There is a 18-135 option like what Rob had mentioned above. When I got my first DSLR, I just had an 18-55 and it would really irritate me at times as it has a very short range of zoom. Also, if you have two lenses, 18-55 & 55-250, you will have to switch between the two quite often and that could a) irritate you as a beginner, and b) more importantly expose your camera and lens to dust!

If you have a budget constraint, have a look at Tamron 18-135. Quite worth the money!

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.