This question already has an answer here:
- Should I upgrade my body or lens first? 7 answers
I am looking for recommendation on upgrade path from my current needs to have sharper image quality.
- Nikon D3200 2 years old.
- 35mm 1.8 DX Lense (my primary go to lense for everything)
- Nikkor 50 mm F/1.8 FX AS G SWM AF-S SIC M/A Lens
- Nikkor 18-35mm f3.5-4.5D ED IF Aspherical Lens (unused because on the frame it manual focus only)
- Nikon Speedlight SB-600
- Basic Kit Lense
- Eye-Fi SD Wireless Card
I have also rented out a 17-35mm lense when in need.
What Do I do
I shoot at events that are typically dark and latenight (clubs, corporate events venues at restaurants, etc). I have also shot at weddings and engagements as a second photographers. I do mostly groups and single (couple) portraits. I have been engaged in day light shots for some fashion bloggers lately, therefore I have been gaining more experience in day shots now.
I do not foresee the type of work I currently do to deviate (more weddings/engagement and night time photography at least once a week).
This is still a "hobby" that I like to do, but It is not my primary job. So I do not expect to spend over 2K worth (body lenses combine) in the near future to accommodate my hobby.
I'm unsure what is my next step would be:
- Buy more lenses (I don't have zoom, I dont have wide angle. even if I rent a 17-55mm, that lense is sure heavy and bothersome)
- Buy an upgraded Crop Frame (Current generation up, or last generation closest to full frame)
- Last generation entry point full frame
Any incremental steps I should be taking for my needs?
Note I am open to keeping the D3200 as a secondary if needed (also if my upgrade, the lenses I currently is not compatible like a full frame with a DX lense)
Update/Response to mattdm
I have read: Should I upgrade my body or lens first?
As per the best/top response with 9 vote - I am limited to my gear. I am surrounded by those who have full frame and work equally to use their photography passion as a second income and passion. So I am getting a lot of practice and pointers in terms of composition etc. I have felt that I have tapped the feedback / group path and it is time for more gears in terms of lense and/or body.