Is there any supplier of IR cut filter material? I.e., material that will block IR as opposed to allowing it to pass through? Preferably plastic, as I would like to be able to cut and shape it as appropriate.

  • 3
    Can you be more precise on the intended use of the filter ? Different filters will cut IR in different part of the spectrum. – Olivier Aug 13 '15 at 15:37
  • @colin did you ever find a suitable filter material for this? I'm looking for it too. – pseudosavant Nov 10 '18 at 7:14

Try Edmund Scientific/Optics for prototyping materials.


You could try something like this which is used for IR protection. I'm not sure how easy it is to cut cleanly you may have to experiment. Or you could go for a drop in filter (but they are not cheap, here is one for a cool $476.


IR (and IR/UV) blocking filters are commonly used in astrophotography (since most telescopes with refractive elements are only corrected in the visual range, though there are some corrected out to nearIR/UV). I'm not aware of any plastic versions, though, but you may be able to get unmounted glass ones. A web search should pick up several suppliers - I know Baader Planetarium do mounted versions, not sure about unmounted, and I.m pretty sure all the other astrophotography filter manufacturers will do them too.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.