I've never used a beauty dish and I'm not sure what's the typical way of positioning it. I want to shoot on location and not in a studio setup, and I don't have an assistant.

What kind of stand do I need in this case? a regular one or a C-stand with the arms?

  • What type of lighting will you be using on location flashguns or studio strobes? – Harry Sanderson Jul 29 '15 at 8:50
  • @HarryJamesSanderson Sorry I don't understand what do you mean by "what type of lighting" – user1899082 Jul 29 '15 at 12:21
  • @user1899082 He's asking if you're using battery-powered hotshoe flashes, or big plug-into-the-wall-outline studio flashes. – inkista Jul 30 '15 at 22:25
  • !@inkista big flashes but cordless, Profoto B1 – user1899082 Jul 31 '15 at 12:26

This question is a little abstract...

  • If your flash heads are heavy you need a sturdy stand.

  • If you are on the outside you could use a sandbag to add weight.

  • If you are using the light just a fill light or lateral, or whatever light you can use any stand.

  • If you are taking specificly butterfly lighting then a boom tripod or C-stand it is usefull, but not indispensable.

  • And if you are using it as a cenital hairlight, in this case probably a C-stand is the only way to go.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.