I don't have a studio so I mostly shoot outside on locations, or for practice in my small room. I see some pictures that they have shaped and directed the light so well. For example a violin where half of it is in dark and half in light, or a face where the two sides are in dark and the middle of the face in light (see example below).
How can I do those things and shape the light? As for light modifiers and some tools here is what I have. Is it gear I am missing or is it skills and practice?
- Flashes: Two SB-910 for TTL and a LumoPro LP180 for Manual
- Radio Triggers: Pocket Wizard Plus III
- Light meter: Sekonic 478 DR
- Two shoot through umbrellas, small size I think 20"
- One snoot grid, Rogue 3-in-1 thingy. ( I don't like it, hard to aim and use, do you have better recommendations for this?)
- One Joe McNally EzyBox HotShoe SoftBox
- LumiQuest SoftBox III
- Some color gels.