How to compose/frame shots with tall buildings without "just" sky? For example, Space Needle, Eiffel Tower, Hoover Building ... Most of my attempts result in lots of pixels of boring sky.
Here is what I have tried:
- shooting the building at golden hour and making it stand out against a (hopefully) dark background
- including interesting sky; you have to wait for nice sky, which is hard when visits are planned around holidays
- framing through arches; not every place has arches
- shooting reflections; not every place has these reflective surfaces
- shoot from nearby tall buildings; even if you find a building, its hard to get permission
- composing through leaves of nearby trees; this is a not-so-good example of what I am talking about. The ideal one would have a inverted U shape of leaves covering the top frame.
I like the long-exposure shots with the clouds moving towards the viewer, but am yet to try it.
My question is what are the alternatives? I am looking for in-camera techniques, rather than post processing. Novel ideas and suggestions welcome. Please provide an example image if possible.
Sure, there are different ways to improve the images I have linked, but I would like to start with the "boring sky" part of it. Apologies for linking so many of my images, my goal here is not self promotion, just to give you an idea of what I have tried.