I am new to photography and I am planning to buy a Nikon D3300 (with 18–55 mm kit lens) to start with, after reading through the reviews. But one question lingering on to my mind even after reading multiple posts here is whether there is any option to buy any other lens type, of any other brand — say Canon or Sony — to fit in to this camera.

  • But this post talks about the old camera with new lenses.. what i am asking about is if there are other types of lenses that will fit in to the yet to be bought camera.. – newbuddy2015 May 18 '15 at 13:53
  • @newbuddy2015 The answer is still the same. It all depends on the mount type, if there is an adapter, and flange distance. And no, that post works if you want to use an old Canon 50mm f/1.8 FD on a new Canon 5D Mark III (or in my case that lens on a Rebel 2000). – SailorCire May 18 '15 at 14:00
  • Read the complete post pease. And wellcome :o) – Rafael May 18 '15 at 14:06

The question here is really "Are there third-party lenses which will work on the Nikon D3300?", which is only answered by the other "possible duplicate" question in passing, because it starts from the assumption of incompatible mount, when actually third-party manufacturers do produce Nikon-mount lenses — although Sony and Canon do not. (Sigma is the only company I am aware of which makes lenses for their own system and for others.)

So the basic answer is yes — look for lenses from Sigma, Tokina, Tamron, Voigtländer, Zeiss, Samyang, and others which are labeled as for Nikon or F-mount. Note that some of these may be manual focus only, both at the high end (Zeiss, Voigtländer) and budget end (Samyang). And also be aware that these are generally reverse-engineered for compatibility, not licensed, so for lenses which contain electronics, updates may be needed for compatibility in the future.

| improve this answer | |
  • Footnote: Samyang lenses are manufactured by Samyang Optics in Korea, but get rebranded as Rokinon, Vivitar, Falcon, Walimex, Bower, Opteka, Bell and Howell, Polar, and Pro-Optic. And "manual focus" also means "manual aperture" and non-reporting (i.e., no electronic communication). – inkista May 18 '15 at 20:35

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.