I have been playing around with pinhole cameras using photographic paper (instead of film). Great fun. But when I buy photographic paper, I don't seem to have any options for different ISOs, like I do with film. (I have 5" x 7" Ilford Multigrade IV RV paper.)

What I would really like is photographic paper that is less light sensitive, so I can do a longer exposures. Say, paper with an ISO of 5 instead of 100.

Is there any way to tell the ISO of photographic paper? Does anyone manufacture photographic paper with lower ISO ratings?

  • 3
    I know it's not directly what you're asking, but have you considered just sticking a ND filter in front of your pinhole?
    – Philip Kendall
    Apr 29 '15 at 20:08
  • 1
    Excellent question! My experience is that different papers have different resistive levels. I've used Kodak and Ilford and noticed that Kodak was more sensitive. You may also want to see this where an ilford customer service rep talks about it.
    – SailorCire
    Apr 29 '15 at 20:11
  • 1
    If you're looking at multi-month exposures, you should certainly read this question.
    – Philip Kendall
    Apr 29 '15 at 20:38
  • 1
    @Rafael Sadly, pinholes are diffraction limited. Anything below 0.18mm will be too blurry to be useful. I aim for 0.2-0.25mm, and that's about the smallest anyone sells too. Apr 29 '15 at 20:55
  • 1
    FYI: photo.stackexchange.com/q/62364/38156
    – SailorCire
    May 2 '15 at 17:47

For a really insensitive paper, try blueprint paper photography or diazo paper photography. These sheets are comparatively inexpensive and are available in large sizes. You can even make blueprint paper yourself.

See this on the blueprint process.

And do post your images!

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.