I have a Canon T3i. When I go to buy a new lens, do I have to buy a specific size or type for the T3i?


You need to buy a lens that is Canon EOS compatible. Canon EF or EF-S lenses will work with your camera. Many manufacturers create compatible lenses also, Sigma makes a compatible lens with good quality at a reasonable price.

| improve this answer | |

The lenses that will work with your camera will be denoted as EF or EF-s (e.g EF 50mm f/1.8, or EF-s 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II) if the are Canon or as "For Canon EF" or "For Canon" for other manufacturer's lenses, such as Sigma, Tamron, Zeiss or Samyang. EF-m lenses will not work properly on your camera, or any Canon DSLR. Likewise the EF-s lenses will not work on Canon's full frame bodies (i.e. 1D, 5D and 6D).

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.