Also, if there are any tutorials and/or help that would be useful.

  • 16
    "crappy broken mirror effect"? – Michael C Mar 5 '15 at 17:10
  • Thought of it before asking and nope , just found some "does a broken mirror really bring unluck ? :O :O " – Lendrit Mar 5 '15 at 17:16
  • 2
    The point is you probably need to include that description in your question. Please see meta.photo.stackexchange.com/questions/3881/… – Michael C Mar 5 '15 at 17:24
  • Edited it , best i could do – Lendrit Mar 5 '15 at 17:35
  • Hum... Broken glass effect? – Rafael Mar 6 '15 at 2:05

This is called Dispersion Effect and is most commonly done using Splatter effects. There are thousands of tutorials on how to achieve it.

The basic method is to duplicate your subject layer, transform / move it in some way, apply a Layer Mask, invert that layer mask so none of the new subject is showing, then use stylized brushes to "paint" the subject back in.


You could duplicate your image and slice that new layer into pieces (e. g. using masks) and move them around.
On top of that you could add an image of broken glass (try out the blending modes, until you find a pleasing one).

That's how your example image seems to have been done.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.