enter image description here

Wood is a large image of wood, the red is what is shown. I have this on a PSD sent to me and I'd like to know how to do this to be able to add another texture as this would be amazing help!

closed as off-topic by Saaru Lindestøkke, NickM, Philip Kendall, TFuto, chuqui Feb 25 '15 at 15:37

  • This question does not appear to be about photography within the scope defined in the help center.
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • 5
    I'm voting to close this question as off-topic because this question has not relation to photography. Maybe try googling clipping mask or search the graphic design SE – Saaru Lindestøkke Feb 25 '15 at 9:54
  • I did have this on Stackoverflow and they told me to post here... – Tim Marshall Feb 25 '15 at 10:06
  • LOL, those Graphic Design guys need some reality adjustment. This is far more the technical aspect of design than photography... – TFuto Feb 25 '15 at 12:58
  • @TimMarshall Do you have a link to the StackOverflow question? I'll pop over and re-educate them :-) – Philip Kendall Feb 25 '15 at 13:17

If you're on Windows, hold left Alt key and click between layers - the top one will "clip" - just try, and you'll figure it out ;)


It is called Clipping Masking, see this link.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.