Assuming we don't prefer to keep the lens vertically when not attached to a camera.

I'm broadly referring to adding some sort of an attachment to keep it from rolling and falling of a table. Or any other ideas that keep lenses safe.

  • 3
    \$\begingroup\$ What's your use case which means that the tried and tested "put it in a bag" isn't available? \$\endgroup\$
    – Philip Kendall
    Jan 24, 2015 at 7:40
  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ What's your reason for not putting it end down? \$\endgroup\$
    – alex
    Jan 24, 2015 at 7:43
  • \$\begingroup\$ alex- Lenses which are comparatively longer and heavier like the Sigma 18-35 f1.8 tend to become unstable when kept end down; a small nudge is enough to topple them over. \$\endgroup\$
    – Tanmay
    Jan 24, 2015 at 7:52
  • \$\begingroup\$ If you have more than one lens, buy a camera bag. \$\endgroup\$
    – Blrfl
    Jan 24, 2015 at 13:39
  • \$\begingroup\$ Is this a photography question solely because a lens is involved? \$\endgroup\$
    – TroyR
    Jan 25, 2015 at 8:58

2 Answers 2


Have a horizontal box or tray for it.

Get or make a square lenscap. (Front or rear)

Large lens has a tripod mount: keep a plate attached, or insert a spare hotshoe-tripod adaptor or something.

Two rubber bands and popsicle sticks.

Roll it up in flubber.

Put non-rolling objects (including short lenses kept vertically) on either side.

Put them on a towel/soft mat/felt

If you are changing lenses, don't you have a case?

  • \$\begingroup\$ 1 more: put them on a towel/soft mat/felt \$\endgroup\$
    – uncovery
    Jan 24, 2015 at 15:59
  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ It's a community wiki answer, so just add your items to the post. \$\endgroup\$
    – JDługosz
    Jan 24, 2015 at 23:36

Sugru. It's a moldable silicon (I think) type of putty that becomes completely inert once it dries.

You can do tons of stuff with it, including making unobtrusive but functional no-roll stops.

I have used this for all kinds of repairs/mods and it sounds like just the thing you're looking for.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.