I got a newsletter which includes this picture

enter image description here

and I was wondering how the effect on the clock is achieved in photoshop.


Spin Blur

In Photoshop (Photoshop CC 2014) it can be found in:

Filter > Blur Gallery > Spin Blur

You can find more info in Adobe Photoshop documentation.

  • on old versions of PS it is named Radial blur Dec 23 '14 at 13:36
  • 1
    Radial Blur exists in newer versions too. Spin Blur is just Radial Blur set to spin and applied with a control widget. Dec 23 '14 at 13:43

It's just the Radial Blur filter. However, if the idea is to replicate a slow shutter speed blurring the motion of the hands, it's poorly executed, because the entire clock face is blurred. Only the hands move, so only the hands should be blurred.

  • Radial blur goes outwards from a central point. This is spin blur, as the blur is going around the central point (the clock hands) Dec 31 '14 at 9:40
  • 3
    Radial blur has two modes, Zoom and Spin. The spin mode is exactly the same as Spin Blur, it just doesn't have the adjustment handles. Dec 31 '14 at 12:16
  • ah ok, I hadn't realised that, I was using 'radial' with its more mathematical meaning obviously :) Dec 31 '14 at 14:00

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.