I'm wondering if there's a Photoshop technique available to extract the 'reflective layer' (or an approximation of it) from photos of laptops/smartphones etc, so a screenshot of a website/app etc could be placed between the device and the reflective layer (meaning I'd be able to retain the extracted reflection details in a new layer)?

The motivation is to be able to generate more realistic looking product mockup shots without the need to manually draw in a new reflective layer.

Here's a sample photo that I'd like to be able to work with:

enter image description here

  • \$\begingroup\$ Paul, it looks like ElendilTheTall was able to help. However, just so you know, the term 'Glare' has a specific meaning in photography. It's commonly referred to as lens flare. (cf ISO 9358:1994 Optics and optical instruments -- Veiling glare of image forming systems -- Definitions and methods of measurement). So if there is a way you can edit your question and remove the reference to glare, this question and answer might be even more useful for future readers. \$\endgroup\$
    – B Shaw
    Aug 20, 2014 at 8:29
  • \$\begingroup\$ No worries, glare reference removed for future readers. \$\endgroup\$
    – Paul
    Aug 20, 2014 at 9:30

1 Answer 1


Simply select and copy the screen/glare you want to overlay, and paste it to a new layer. Set the Blending Mode to Hard Light. Then paste in your product image in a new layer and place it underneath the glare layer (you will obviously need to do some jiggery pokery to fit this image onto the screen in the photo).


enter image description here


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.