I saw a photo on the internet today that I have seen before. Not this exact image, but this type of photo. I have tried to explain it to people in a photography store but to no avail.

What is this technique referred to, so that I can find more information related to it.

I love that "rushed inwards" stream around the focus in the centre of the image.

rushed in photo


2 Answers 2


Zoom Burst, or Zoom Blur are a couple of variations of names of the effect you're talking about. More info on how to achieve it here, here, or here.

  • 3
    \$\begingroup\$ Can you give a short summation of the technique instead of just linking off-site? A quick example is what most people need to figure out how to use something like this in their own work. \$\endgroup\$ Aug 2, 2014 at 4:19
  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ I quite often would in answers; I didn't initially bother in this case, since the question was "what is this effect", not "how do I achieve it". \$\endgroup\$
    – Conor Boyd
    Aug 3, 2014 at 20:01

I like the term Radial Motion Blur as it describes both the appearance of the effect and how to achieve it in post processing (most Photoshop editors have a "radial blur" function).

Zoom Blur does describe how to achieve the effect, though.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.