At the moment I am using a D7000 for portrait shoots but for some reason I keen on knocking the mode wheel from A to M quite often and it results in over or underexposed shots.

I see that on top of the D600 mode where there is a small button, is that a push and select, like the ring that is below it?

Also do any of the other Nikon full frame bodies have a lockable selector?

  • \$\begingroup\$ One of the biggest weaknesses of the Canon 7D and 5DII, later top tier Canon bodies with a mode dial have a lockable one. You can also send your 7D or 5DII to Canon Factory Service and get a lockable one retrofitted (for a fee). \$\endgroup\$
    – Michael C
    Jun 3, 2014 at 3:18
  • \$\begingroup\$ Yeah I heard about that. I might have to see if I can think of a way to hold the wheel in place. \$\endgroup\$
    – connersz
    Jun 3, 2014 at 8:05

1 Answer 1


Yes, the D600 does have a lockable mode wheel.

On the upper left of the D600's body (when the camera is viewed from behind) you'll find a D7000-style exposure mode dial and around its base, another dial for shooting modes. Both dials are lockable, which prevents accidental operation.

From the DPReview review.

The D600 and D610 are the only full frame Nikon DSLRs with mode wheels, lockable or otherwise. The D800, D3 and D4 all use a push button and wheel combination to switch between P, S, A and M modes.

  • \$\begingroup\$ Fantastic. The D7000 mode wheel is pushing me towards a new camera at the moment, as it is causing me so many problems. \$\endgroup\$
    – connersz
    Jun 2, 2014 at 15:39

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.