Would really like to know how to edit a photo to get this effect. Its kind of like a cartoon effect but not the kind i'm used to seeing.


  • 1
    If you want answers, your best bet is to put something descriptive in the question title - will also help other people find the answer later. "cartoon-like" if nothing else. – MikeW Dec 16 '13 at 5:26
  • Or might be better to ask at: graphicdesign.stackexchange.com – BBking Dec 16 '13 at 5:57
  • 7
    I'm getting an "Unauthorized" response from d.yimg.com :-( – Philip Kendall Dec 16 '13 at 9:03
  • 1
    Until I try to refresh it. Now I can't. – Michael C Dec 16 '13 at 18:16
  • 1
    please update the photo url, it doesn't work – K'' Dec 24 '13 at 16:18

There are some Photoshop filter effects (emboss, plastic wrap) that might get you close. The closest thing I know of are some of the Topaz filters.

I think the closest are the cartoon filters from the Topaz Clean product (Cartoon, Crisp Style and Curly Smooth). Topaz Adjust will also have similar effects.

These filters smooth out small detail (which the Topaz Clean product does generally) but enhances the contrast of large edges. You can adjust the smoothing effect and the edge effect to your liking. Topaz works with Photoshop (CS and Elements), Lightroom, Aperture, and some other image editors.

enter image description here

  • closest answer I've gotten so far. Thank you very much! – Frank Dec 16 '13 at 12:50
  • @Frank - Well, that's partly because none of us can access the image you linked to... – John Cavan Dec 16 '13 at 15:15

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.