I know that this marker on my Canon EOS shows me where my sensor is:

image showing camera body

Form technical point of view this is interesting, but is there benefit for me as a photographer to know exactly on which level my sensor is?

Is there a similar marker on DSLR of other brands, like Nikon?

  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ To answer your second question. It's the same marker pretty much everywhere, and it's on all serious cameras of any make (including Nikon, etc...). \$\endgroup\$
    – Fake Name
    Dec 1, 2013 at 13:50
  • \$\begingroup\$ See also What does the theta symbol near the flash represent? \$\endgroup\$
    – mattdm
    Dec 1, 2013 at 14:02
  • \$\begingroup\$ possible duplicate of What is an "image plane indicator"? \$\endgroup\$
    – mattdm
    Dec 1, 2013 at 14:05
  • \$\begingroup\$ Hmm... the recommended duplicate isn't asking the same question, it's just by chance that the answer there contains relevant information. \$\endgroup\$
    – Joanne C
    Dec 1, 2013 at 22:47
  • \$\begingroup\$ @mattdm. Thanks for the links to the other questions -> Helps me also. Thinks that is not a duplicate in question self, but sure the answers overlap. \$\endgroup\$
    – Micha
    Dec 2, 2013 at 9:54

1 Answer 1


it is used to precisely measure the distance of the subject from the camera. so you can adjust the focus on the distance scale on your lens. it is also used to determine(calculate) the reproduction ratio / Macro Mode Maximum Magnification.

  • \$\begingroup\$ Thanks for answer (+1 for that). Very interesting point. So you need the marker (only) for very precise measurements? \$\endgroup\$
    – Micha
    Dec 2, 2013 at 9:56
  • \$\begingroup\$ at least as far as i know. and i haven't found anything more about this topic. thanks for up \$\endgroup\$ Dec 2, 2013 at 11:04

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.