I'm got a batch of printed photos which I am scanning to store a digital copy of and possibly enlarge them for printing.

I've scanned them at the maximum quality (600DPI) and saved it with the least amount of compression as possible (.tiff). When I open it up in photoshop and zoom in closely, I notice that the parts which should be a solid colour is in fact not a solid colour. The photo looks like this:"Discoloured" image - Notice how the blacks isn't exactly black - it's got this "rainbowing" effect

What would be the best course of action to try and "solidify" the colour? I've tried going over the area with a brush with opacity set to ~12%, but obviously this did not work very well.


1 Answer 1


That's noise. Mostly color noise. You can remove that in Camera Raw using the Luminance and Color Noise reduction sliders

enter image description here


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.