I have a Windows 8 PC and my Nikon D3100 isn't showing up on it. It says USB device not recognized. I have updated the USB drivers, but no joy. Sadly, i don't have the disc that came with it.
You do not need the disk that came with it - it SHOULD be recognised as a mass storage device or a camera by the OS.
- Plug camera into computer, turn on camera
- Does your computer do ANYTHING? any sounds, movement, anything show up in My Computer?
- check under "My Devices", nothing there?
- try a different cable
- Try the camera on a different computer
- do OTHER usb devices work in the same port ok?
- look in Device Manager (wherever that is in 8) is there a device with a ! next to it?
if the camera is not detected by ANY computer with a known working cable, take it back to the shop.