I would like to obtain an effect where pixels get spreaded locally. I tried to reproduce how such a filter would look, I hope you get the idea:





Note: here I ran a blur, aded noise and then added a lot of contrast to give a "spreading effect" and remove the noise in plain areas. But it wouldn't work with not-extreme colours (in the sense of contrast).

Edit: now that I've found the answer, here the official definition for the filter which describes best the effect:

The Spread filter swaps each pixel in the active layer or selection with another randomly chosen pixel by a user specified amount. It works on color transitions, not on plain color areas. No new color is introduced.


  • 3
    \$\begingroup\$ This appears to be a dither rather than a blur. \$\endgroup\$
    – AJ Henderson
    Jul 30, 2013 at 16:12
  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ It is unclear what you want. How is simple low pass filtering not what you are asking for? \$\endgroup\$ Jul 30, 2013 at 16:26
  • \$\begingroup\$ What software are you interested in? \$\endgroup\$
    – Unapiedra
    Jul 30, 2013 at 17:52
  • \$\begingroup\$ @Unapiedra : mostly free ones (Gimp, Paint.net), but if it's only available on photoshop, I'll find a way. \$\endgroup\$
    – BiAiB
    Jul 30, 2013 at 19:17
  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ Also, could you perhaps show what you are looking for with a sample photograph rather than colored scribbles? \$\endgroup\$
    – mattdm
    Jul 30, 2013 at 23:24

1 Answer 1


Well, finally I've found it in Gimp (french version).

Filtre > Bruit > Eparpiller (Filters > Noise > Scatter EDIT: Spread )

enter image description here

"Mélanger" et "Piquer" are good too(not sure the translations, maybe "melt" and "pick"). Can't believe I missed them.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.